- 2018年03月02日11:00 来源：小站整理
- 参与（1） 阅读（895）
Students should spend at least one year working or traveling before they go to university? Do you agree or disagree? 高中生应该在上大学之前至少工作或者旅行一年，是否认同?( 2016年3月13日)
The gap year = the Grand Tour “间隔年”，也叫“壮游年”或者“断档年”。是指从前英国贵族子女的遍游欧洲大陆的教育旅行。
Such is human nature to explore the unknown and see the outside word，that is why a great many high school graduates are keen on traveling or working for a period of time before attending dream universities. Conflicting ideas clash in determining whether or not it is a wise idea to inspire high school leavers to experience the Grand Tour. As I see it, the merits of experiencing the gap year outshine its potential demerits.
The most important educational benefit of taking a year off before starting university life is that traveling exposes young adults to stunning places and exotic cultures. It is one thing for teenagers to read about distant countries, but it is even better to enrich the experience of the world on one’s own. What one learns by associating with strangers and absorbing diverse cultures is something he or she could never acquire in the classrooms. For example，I made many congenial friends by self-travel to Tibet after finishing my schooling. This fantastic journey not only expanded my mind but also alleviated my stress triggered by tight academic study. Feasting my eyes on the stunning landscape really sweetened my life and lifted my spirit.
Virtually, youngsters can also become the beneficiaries of working as part-timers too. By that I mean, earning a living has a key role to play in helping one accumulate relevant working experience, train one’s crisis-solving abilities and deepen one’s insight into the society, which will lay a solid foundation for one’s future career ladder. To illustrate, via embarking on part-time jobs, I knew that money doesn’t grow on trees. Then, I studied even harder when coming back to campus.
Notwithstanding all that, we can never ignore the potential downsides caused by experiencing the gap year. First, the study might be delayed. Some school graduates are too immature to draw on their gap year, so they just waste time during that period and harvest nothing. Even worse, it is highly possible that some youngsters might end up never returning to campus. However，since academic qualification is extremely indispensable to every individual，my concern might seldom happen.
In closing, my stand is that to inspire young adults to take a year off before going to college is a two-edged sword. Yet youngsters should be encouraged to challenge themselves. This is one of the best ways to mature their thoughts and chasten their characters.
1. go to university = start university life = attend university 上大学
2. earn a living = work as part-timers 谋生
3. do some sightseeing = to be well-traveled = to travel on one’s own 自己旅行
4. Such is human nature to explore the unknown 探索未知是人之本性。
5. The merits of experiencing the gap year outshine its potential demerits 经历间隔年的利大于弊。
6. to experience the gap year 体验间隔年
7. take a year off to work and travel before attending dream university 升入理想大学之前，用一年的时间去工作或旅行
8. feasting my eyes on the stunning landscape 尽情欣赏迷人景色
9. really sweetened my life and lifted my spirit 使我快乐，精神振奋
10. add spice to the dull routine of everyday life 增加枯燥生活之情趣
11. lay a solid foundation for one’s future career ladder 为未来事业打下坚实基础
12. money doesn’t grow on trees 赚钱很辛苦
13. notwithstanding all that 尽管如此
14. end up doing sth 以……为结局
15. be led astray 被引入迷途
16. Since academic qualification is extremely indispensable to every individual，my concern might seldom happen. 因为学历对于每一人都很重要，我的担忧很少会发生。
17. …… is a two-edged sword ……是一把双刃刀
18. This is one of the best ways to mature their thoughts and chasten their characters. 这是成熟他们的思想，磨练他们的性格的最佳方式之一。